How to Adopt ?
The first step in adopting an animal is making a trip to the Town of Islip Animal Shelter (Click here for Directions)
. Check the cats available and dog's available listings on our Petfinders link
. You should also visit the shelter personally since new animals arrive every day.
The Adoption Process :
- When you find an animal you want to adopt, you will be asked to fill out an application form.
- Shelter staff / volunteers will talk to you about adopting an animal and answer any questions you might have. They may call your landlord if you rent, to make sure that you are allowed to have pets.
- Spend some time with the animal! Make sure that the entire family feels comfortable with the animal that you have picked out.
- If you already own a dog and you want to adopt another one, you may want to bring in your dog to make sure that they get along. There is a big fenced in area next to the shelter where the dogs can interact.
- Beginning April 1, 2011, the Islip Town Board has authorized that the adoption fee for both cats and dogs is waived!